Translate

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Breakfast

John 21:1-14

Our God is amazing.

This is the description of the third time Jesus appears to the disciples after the resurrection. He appears to them “beside the Sea of Galilee” and Simon Peter tells them he is going fishing. So they leave Jesus and join him. The disciples are out at sea all night but they catch nothing.

“Morning was already breaking when Jesus came to the beach and stood there. However, the disciples did not know that it was Jesus. So Jesus said to them, ‘Boys (children), You do not have any meat (fish) do you? [Have you caught anything to eat along with your bread?] They answered Him, No! (21:4-5 AMP)

He instructs them to cast their net on the right side of the boat to find some fish. So, they cast the net, and of course they caught such a huge mass of fish they had difficulty hauling it back to shore.

“When they got out on land (the beach) they saw a fire of coals there and fish lying on it [cooking], and bread. Jesus said to them, Bring some of the fish which you have just caught. So Simon Peter went aboard and hauled the net to land, full of large fish, 153 of them; and though there were so many of them, the net was not torn. Jesus said to them, Come [and] have breakfast” (21:9-12 AMP)

My first thought is that Jesus made them breakfast. While they were out trying to catch breakfast, Jesus was making it for them-there is so much in that alone. I really just started to cry when I read that. He made them breakfast. This is the same God who created the heavens and the earth. The same God to whom everything in this world belongs, our Abba Father, caring for his disciples. I sometimes forget that part of God. The God that used to help me find change for the bus or provide a parking space for me. The God who knows every hair on my head and the words I speak before I think them. The God who loved me before I existed. My intimate Dad. He is that kind of God.

Our God is one of intimacy. One who is interested in meeting our most basic needs, caring for us, being tender and thoughtful of us, while being the God of All. The idea that while they were out fishing and Jesus, knowing they had been out all night and were probably tired and hungry, was on the beach making food for them, is so touching to me. So often I miss that side of God.

I am glad that He is who I serve. A God who cares about me so fiercely that while He has my future mapped out, He also cares about me in a basic, human way.

The same Jesus who was miraculously putting fish into their net, was preparing breakfast for them…

The same Lord who breathed the Holy Spirit into them the chapter before, was providing for their basic needs…

The same God who gave your heart a beat this morning, will help you through ANY and EVERY situation.

He loves you that much...

No comments:

Post a Comment