Translate

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Deep waters...dry land

Joshua 3:14-4:17

I always hear about the first time the Lord parted the waters when the Israelites were running from the Egyptians, but rarely hear about this instance. This time, the Israelites were preparing to cross the Jordan en route to the Promised Land. They come to the waters and the Jordan was overflowing its banks. The Lord had already instructed Joshua, that when they reached the banks of the Jordan, they were to take a few steps into the river and stop. As soon as the feet of the priests, who were out front carrying the Ark, touched the water at the river’s edge, the water began to recede and flow in a different direction until the riverbed was dry. Then the people crossed over near the town of Jericho. The whole nation of Israel crossed the Jordan on dry ground.

Many times I have come to a place in my life where I don’t know how I will make it. Sometimes I hit a wall and think, “this is just too tough to get past”. Sometimes things seem impossible. I mean, we know that God is God. That He can do the miraculous and that there is nothing impossible for Him, but when I am standing at the water’s edge…all I can see is me…drowning.

I am so thankful for God’s word. I am so thankful that He is the same yesterday, today and forever. I hold on to that when I get to the water, b/c I know that if He moved the waters, that thing that looked so impossible to get through for them, He will do it for me. I am grateful that He parts waters.

Not only did He move a huge body of water, but they walked across on dry land. Not only did they walk across on dry land but the riverbed was rocky. I know this b/c while they are crossing, Joshua stops to build a memorial in the middle of the Jordan and 12 of the men (1 from each tribe) are instructed to select rocks to build another memorial where they camped for the night (Joshua 4:1-9). Wet rocks are very slippery and dangerous. It occurs to me that not only does the Lord part the waters to take you through, but He even takes care to navigate you through the possible dangers on your way. I know I don’t always do this well. When I am experiencing the difficulties of my life, it is so easy to take what seems like the easy way out. It is easy to say or do things that can prove detrimental later and make my journey all the more difficult…I am glad to know that if I just keep my eyes on the Lord and my hand in his, He will protect me from the dangers along the way.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment